A gem in the heart of Germany
The Odenwald area is a mainly rural area in the south-west of Germany within easy reach of Frankfurt to the North and Heidelberg to the south.
It is an area of outstanding beauty with dense forests, lakes and rivers. World famous monuments and Roman remains are to be found throughout the area and its castles range from the Romanesque to the Baroque.
For lovers of good food, the Odenwald is ideal with traditional dishes being offered throughout the year and you won’t want to miss out on tasting the locally brewed beer!
There are many attractions on offer all year round to suit the needs of all ages, whether you want to go hiking or walking in the surrounding countryside, or visit the Castles and historic monuments.
The Odenwald is proud of its history of crafts ranging from pottery, famous wood carvers and basket makers to its gingerbread bakers and its modern chocolatiers.
The ‘Potato Festival’ in Michelstadt is unique with its Potato Steamer “Kartoffeldaempfer” promoted by former Landrat Horst Schnur and potatoes cooked in this way cannot be compared!
Key towns in the area include:
Michelstadt lies in south-eastern part of the Odenwald in the middle of the Hessian Bergstrasse-Odenwald Nature Park. It lies at the crossroads of the ancient trade route from Frankfurt to Stuttgart and from Worms to Würzburg. It boasts some of the oldest buildings in Germany.
The famous late Gothic Town Hall, the Rathaus, is a perfect example of the ‘fachwerk’ half-timber buildings famous throughout the area. It is interesting that the carving of the date of its construction in 1484 is written in Arabic numerals using a half eight as a four.
The Renaissance-style fountain decorated with wrought iron, is said to date from 1575. Around the Market Place are examples of the fine half-timbered houses for which the area is famous.
Erbach is where you find the “Landratsamt”, the seat of regional government. Visitors are enchanted by the gardens of The Orangery, the magnificence of The Schloss, the National Ivory Museum and the River Mümling which runs through the town. Here you find an abundance of crafts including pottery, wood carving, basket making and the modern choclatier. In July residents and visitors alike enjoy the annual Wiesenmarkt when, for a period of 10 days, the atmosphere is carnival.
Neighbouring towns and villages Bad König, Beerfelden, Breuberg, Höchst and Lüzelbach all have much to offer, but you must go and see for yourself.
One thing is sure – you’ll never run out of ideas of what to do in the Odenwald and you’ll be sure of a friendly welcome!
Find out more at http://www.odenwaldkreis.de and the official tourism site.
News from the Odenwald Association
(Promoting links with the Odenwald region of Germany)
- Robert StirlingOdenwald Association members were saddened to hear of the passing of one of its long-standing members, Robert Stirling, before Christmas. Robert travelled to the Odenwald on many occasions to attend the Schottische Nacht and the Burns Supper events and was well known in the Odenwald. Memories of Robert are of a larger than life characterContinue reading “Robert Stirling”
- Visit from the German ConsulThe German Consul, Dr. Andreas Zimmer, came over from Edinburgh to speak to us at our last meeting on 8th November. He told us about the work of the Consulate, and about his long and varied career which has included postings in Indonesia, Eritrea, Poland, New York and Atlanta, and in Berlin. We then spentContinue reading “Visit from the German Consul”
- What we did in JulyIt felt good to be back behind our tombola bottle stall and helping on the entrance gates at the 150th Airth Games after a gap of three years. We raised some much-needed funds, and met up with friends old and new, including lots of German visitors. We even got our picture in the Falkirk Herald.Continue reading “What we did in July”
- Odenwald Association – meeting at FTH Studio 24 MayOur May meeting will be held on Tuesday, 24th May (a little later than usual due to other commitments) in the Studio at Falkirk Town Hall at 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. We will be discussing the programme for the 2022 – 2023 session, and all the events and outings which will take place overContinue reading “Odenwald Association – meeting at FTH Studio 24 May”
- Odenwald Association AGMOur 44th Annual General Meeting will be held in person on Tuesday, April 12th at 7 p.m. in the Studio at Falkirk Town Hall. The Studio is upstairs and there is a lift. We will be electing office bearers, reviewing the events of the last three years, and looking forward to summer activities. All members,Continue reading “Odenwald Association AGM”
- Online Burns supperFor the second year in a row, the Odenwald Association hosted an online Burns supper, together with our friends from the Schottland Vereinigung. With a mixture of song, dance, poems, and chat, presented by Charlie Tibbles, the life and works of Burns were celebrated in style. The online show was broadcast on 25 January. YouContinue reading “Online Burns supper”
- Virtual concert – save the date!After the success of the Odenwald Association’s last two virtual concerts, the Open Evening and the Burns Supper, we are organising another one, this time to coincide with the Falkirk Tryst Festival. Entitled “Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome”, the event will take place on Tuesday 27th July 2021 at 7pm. This is a joint venture withContinue reading “Virtual concert – save the date!”
- Virtual open eveningThe first meeting of the new session of the Odenwald Association always takes the form of an Open Evening, when we invite everyone interested in twinning and/or the Odenwald to come along, and we hope to gain some new members. This year, 2020, we decided to hold it online as there were still restrictions inContinue reading “Virtual open evening”
- German Consul visits AssociationThe Odenwald Association was very pleased to welcome Mrs. Barbara Quick, the German Consul for Scotland and the North of England, to the group’s meeting on Tuesday, 10th March. Mrs. Quick, who took over the post in July 2019, gave us a very interesting talk about her career to date, and the work of theContinue reading “German Consul visits Association”
- Burns Night in BeerfeldenThe Schottland Vereinigung celebration of Robert Burns took place in the Alte Turnhalle, Beerfelden on February 1, 2020. About 150 people attended and the evening was opened by the Clan Pipers Frankfurt, joined by Neil Clark (Falkirk) and Lothar Eckmayer (Bad König). Rüdiger Holschuh welcomed everyone and the very heavy haggis was brought in byContinue reading “Burns Night in Beerfelden”
- Archive: Odenwald minutesMinutes from previous meetings of the Odenwald Association are published below. If you have any queries, please contact the Association. Minute of Meeting of Odenwald Association held on 12th November, 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in Municipal Buildings, Falkirk Present: Gray Allan (Chair), Walter Simms (Vice-Chair), Anne Simms (Secretary), Charlie Tibbles (Treasurer), Andy and Myra Christie,Continue reading “Archive: Odenwald minutes”
- HippFest presentationAlison Strauss, Arts Development Officer (Film and Media) and Director of HippFest came along in November 2019 to talk to the Odenwald Association about the Hippodrome Silent Film Festival (HippFest), Scotland’s only silent film festival. The festival takes place mainly in the Hippodrome in Bo’ness, Scotland’s first purpose-built cinema, originally designed by Bo’ness architect MatthewContinue reading “HippFest presentation”
- Odenwald visitors / civic receptionMembers of the Odenwald Association were pleased to be able to repay some of the hospitality extended by the SLV and Odenwaldkreis to us in August with a Civic Reception in the Council Chambers hosted by Provost Buchanan, and attended by councillors, OA members and Detlef Kuhn of the SLV. The 50 year-long twinning linkContinue reading “Odenwald visitors / civic reception”
- Schottische Nacht in OdenwaldOn August 7, 2019, a 94-strong party consisting of Odenwald Association members, Jenkins School of Highland Dancing, Falkirk Junior Gaelic Choir, local bands, The Tonkerers, Glenbervie Folk Duo, and Lads wi’ Gear, and assorted parents and friends, travelled by coach, car, plane and ferry to the Odenwald in Germany. The reason for the trip wasContinue reading “Schottische Nacht in Odenwald”
- Association at Airth GamesThe Odenwald Association (OA) hosted a bottle stall at the Airth Highland Games on Saturday, July 27, 2019. Unfortunately, after a week of record temperatures, it rained solidly all day. This didn’t stop the stall being as busy as usual and, though the takings were down a bit on previous years, we made £205 forContinue reading “Association at Airth Games”
- German students visit FalkirkTwo German students, Saskia and Anne, arrived in Falkirk on June 16, 2019, to spend four weeks doing work experience with Falkirk Libraries, and at Callendar House’s ‘Gladiators’ exhibition, with a few days at the Stadium too. Odenwald Association members took them around in their free time, showing them Inverary and places en route, Culross,Continue reading “German students visit Falkirk”
- Gallery: Spielmannszug FF visit FalkirkThe Odenwald Association was very pleased to welcome the award-winning Spielmannszug FF flute and percussion orchestra from Fränkisch-Crumbach to Falkirk in May 2019. As well as the fabulous concert they gave in Falkirk Trinity Church, they visited Edinburgh, Doune, Loch Lomond, and Stirling, were shown round Falkirk by Chair Gray Allan and Fiona Aird,Continue reading “Gallery: Spielmannszug FF visit Falkirk”
- Gallery: Town Hall concertOn Saturday May 25th 2019, the Odenwald Association held a fundraising concert in Grangemouth Town Hall. This was planned as an opportunity for a dress-rehearsal before going to Schottische Nacht in Erbach, a chance for friends and family to see the performance, as well as to raise some money to cover the costs of theContinue reading “Gallery: Town Hall concert”
- Odenwald Association AGMAt the Odenwald Association’s AGM on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, Walter Simms stepped down as Chair but agreed to stay on the committee as Vice-Chair. Gray Allan was elected as our new Chair. Charlie Tibbles and Anne Simms agreed to stay on as Treasurer and Secretary respectively. Gray presented Walter with a gift of beerContinue reading “Odenwald Association AGM”
- Falkirk Gaelic Choir visitThe Odenwald Association invited Falkirk Junior Gaelic Choir along to its March meeting. The choir sang three lovely songs and the littlest member recited a humorous Scots poem. The choir has been going strong since 1961, and members have won several awards over the years. The choir will be hoping to win some more atContinue reading “Falkirk Gaelic Choir visit”
- Next meeting on March 12, 2019The Odenwald Association’s next meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 12, 2019, at 7 p.m. in the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, FK1 5RS, when we will have a performance from the Falkirk Junior Gaelic Choir. There will be the usual refreshments and a fundraising raffle (donations of prizes welcome).
- Presentation on FalklandsThe speakers at the Odenwald Association meeting on Tuesday, November 13, 2018, were Association members Kathryn Grainger and Neil Clark. Invited to the Falkland Islands to provide live music and meet up with Neil’s pupils there who are learning to play bagpipes online, the trip proved to be an uplifting and moving experience, well worth theContinue reading “Presentation on Falklands”
- Group to meet on November 13The Odenwald Association will host its next meeting on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 7 p.m. in the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, FK1 5RS. Two of our members, Neil Clark and Kathryn Grainger, will be talking about their trip to the Falkland Islands. There will be the usual refreshments and a fundraising raffle (donationsContinue reading “Group to meet on November 13”
- Open evening – October 10The first meeting of the new session of the Odenwald Association will be an Open Evening in Room A, the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, FK1 5RS. It will be held on Wednesday, October 10, 2018, at 7 p.m. Please note change of day – the room was not available for the Tuesday. There willContinue reading “Open evening – October 10”
- Gallery: 2018 visit to OdenwaldAnne Simms (with a little help from Myra Christie) reports on a successful trip to Falkirk’s twinned area in Germany. Five members of the OA, Andy and Myra Christie, Walter and myself, and Terry Hunter, flew to Frankfurt and were picked up from the airport by Detlef Kuhn, Deputy Chair of the Schottland Vereinigung. WeContinue reading “Gallery: 2018 visit to Odenwald”
- Twinning conference reportA report of proceedings at the recent Twinning Conference is reproduced below. The conference was held in Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, on Wednesday, August 22, 2018. Attendees :- Odenwald Association (Falkirk area/Odenwald region, Germany) – Walter Simms (Chair), Gray Allan (Vice-Chair), Anne Simms (Secretary), Charles Tibbles – Treasurer), Andy Christie (former Chair), Isabella Allan, Lynda KennaContinue reading “Twinning conference report”
- Odenwald’s Roman rootsThe Odenwald area of Germany was once a Roman frontier – just like Falkirk district back in Scotland. You can visit a number of Roman sites around the Odenwald area, including a replica watch-tower, just outside the town of Erbach. Watch-towers like this would be part of the frontier system built by the Romans. YouContinue reading “Odenwald’s Roman roots”
- Gallery: Visit from Fritsch familyIt’s always lovely to welcome friends from the Odenwald and have the chance to repay some of the hospitality we’ve received on our visits over there – these photos are of the farewell dinner at the Hotel Cladhan and a visit to Falkirk Folk Club.
- Conference for twinning groupsThe Odenwald Association hosted a conference for local twinning groups in the Municipal Buildings, Falkirk on Wednesday, 22nd August, 2018. Representatives from six groups (including the OA) came together to discuss challenges and share strategies to improve recruitment, funding, and promotion. It was interesting to find out how each group operates, and very encouragingContinue reading “Conference for twinning groups”
- Association at Airth Games 2018Our Bottle Stall at the 147th Airth Highland Games was very successful, and our Vice Chair, Gray Allan, enjoyed his day as Chieftain of the Games. Thanks to everyone who helped on the Stall and at the Gates. The 2018 Games were held on July 28.
- Gallery: Visit by Franziska LöwMembers and friends of the Odenwald Association met up with Franziska Löw and her family when they visited Falkirk in May 2018. Activities included a walk through the Union Canal tunnel and a visit to Callendar House.
- Showing off Falkirk districtOdenwald Association members enjoy showing off the delights of Falkirk district to German visitors. Our pictures show locals with visitors from Schottland Vereinigung at the Falkirk Tunnel in 2018 and (bottom) exploring the great paths network here in Falkirk district in 2012. Want to get involved in twinning? Get in touch.
- Visit to WEST BreweryOdenwald Association members enjoyed a visit to the WEST Brewery in Glasgow on 8 May 2018. WEST is the only UK brewery to produce all of its artisan beers in strict accordance with the Reinheitsgebot, the German Purity Law of 1516.
- Odenwald Association AGM 2018The Odenwald Association’s AGM will be held on Tuesday, April 10, 2018, at 7.00 p.m. in the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, FK1 5RS. Instead of bringing prizes for a raffle, you are requested to bring along contributions for the Bottle Stall at Airth Highland Games in May – any sort of bottle is acceptable,Continue reading “Odenwald Association AGM 2018”
- Report on March 13 meetingAt the Odenwald Association’s meeting of Tuesday, March 13, 2018, Elaine Mitchell, Chairperson of Falkirk District Twinning Association, (FDTA) and former Secretary of the Odenwald Association, came along with three other members of the FDTA, Councillor Pat Reid, Ian Burt, and Laura McEwan, to talk to us about the twinning link with Créteil, a largeContinue reading “Report on March 13 meeting”
- Association to meet on March 13The Odenwald Association’s next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in Room A, the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk FK1 5RS. Our speakers will be Elaine Michell and other members of the Falkirk District Twinning Association (FDTA), who will talk about their twinning link with Créteil in France. There willContinue reading “Association to meet on March 13”
- Talk on Cycling Without AgeChristine Bell gave us a very informative, emotive and uplifting talk about the charitable project Cycling Without Age. Cycling Without Age, Falkirk, grew out of another organisation, Communities Along the Carron, which was set up originally to clear a short stretch of the River Carron of litter in 2008. With encouragement from Falkirk Council, theContinue reading “Talk on Cycling Without Age”
- Change of venueThe next meeting of the Odenwald Association will be on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 7.00 p.m. We are delighted to have Christine Bell from “Falkirk Cycling Without Age”, to give a talk on this exciting new initiative. Please note that the venue, for this meeting only, will be, The Tolbooth Tavern, Tolbooth Street, FalkirkContinue reading “Change of venue”
- Members enjoy Annual DinnerInstead of a formal meeting, 17 members of the Odenwald Association enjoyed the Annual Dinner held in The Cladhan Hotel, Falkirk. The combination of good food and good company ensured an enjoyable evening and successful start to the New Year for the Association. See a gallery of pictures below and click any image for aContinue reading “Members enjoy Annual Dinner”
- Season’s greeting from FalkirkThe Odenwald Association members send Seasonal Greetings to our Sister organisation, Schottland Vereinigung, and to all our friends in the Odenwald.“Happy Christmas to You and Yours.” OA members will meet next at the Annual Dinner on Tuesday, 9th January 2018 at The Cladhan Hotel.
- Lost and Found eventThe Odenwald Association and the Falkirk District Twinning Association took part in ‘Language Lost and Found’, an educational event highlighting the benefits of learning a new language. The event took place on Saturday, November 18, 2017. The programme included a Gaelic Bookbug session for small children, entertainment from Falkirk Junior Gaelic choir and representatives fromContinue reading “Lost and Found event”
- German Consul speaks to AssociationThe Odenwald Association was privileged to have Jens-Peter Voss, German Consul General, as guest speaker on Tuesday, November 14, 2017. The audience included local councillors and representatives from the West Lothian Twinning Association. Mr. Voss began by telling us about the work of the Consulate in Edinburgh, which is one of only two in theContinue reading “German Consul speaks to Association”
- BSA Motorcycle AdventureElaine Mitchell, husband Andrew and friends enjoyed a trip through Germany. Elaine had a reunion with friends Jutta and Vroni who lived with Elaine in Falkirk for three months when undertaking work as student placements working with Falkirk Council. Elaine’s report on the trip is published below, alongwith pictures from the trip. Following this year’s annualContinue reading “BSA Motorcycle Adventure”
- Report of visit from Schottland Vereinigung (SLV)Franziska, Secretary for Schottland Vereinigung (SLV) has sent a link to their website which has a report in German on the recent visit by members of the Odenwald Association. The visit was also reported on this website.
- Pumpkin fun at meetingThe Odenwald Association kicked off the new session with a “Kürbisfest”, a Pumpkin celebration as is enjoyed in the Odenwaldkreis. Members were invited to bring along their carved pumpkins to be entered into a competition. Members also contributed Pumpkin themed refreshments including Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Risotto and other savouries flavoured with the luscious pulp. Continue reading “Pumpkin fun at meeting”
- Open evening on October 10The first meeting of the new session will be held in the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, FK1 5RS, at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, October 10, 2017. The theme for the evening will be a Kürbis Fest (pumpkin festival), with pumpkin-based refreshments and a pumpkin carving competition (bring along your already-carved pumpkin). As usual,Continue reading “Open evening on October 10”
- Wine festival in OdenwaldMembers of the Odenwald Association enjoyed the sights and sounds of a winegrowers’ festival in Groß-Umstadt – during this month’s (September 2017) twinning trip to Germany. Pictures from the event, by Walter Simms, are published below. Click on any image to see a larger version. Find out more about the festival here. Read a separate reportContinue reading “Wine festival in Odenwald”
- Twinning visit to the OdenwaldkreisOdenwald Association (OA) members have returned from another fun filled trip to our twinning area, the Odenwaldkreis, with 2 couples staying in homes of friends and 4 others staying in Michelstadt at the familiar Michelstädter Hof. (Scroll down for a gallery of images from the trip.) While an outline programme had been agreed with SchottlandContinue reading “Twinning visit to the Odenwaldkreis”
- September visit to the OdenwaldNext week a small group of members of the Odenwald Association are travelling to the Odenwald on a twinning visit, some staying with friends and some in hotel accommodation in Michelstadt. A programme is being finalised by our hosts but a highlight will be a visit to Gross Umstadt for the annual Winzerfest parade whichContinue reading “September visit to the Odenwald”
- Members show a lot of bottle at GamesAs in previous years, the Odenwald Association members ran a bottle stall at Airth Highland Games on 22 July 2017. Over weeks, donations of bottles were received and stored, waiting to be ticketed for the big day. Manned by members and despite the rain, our Bottle Stall made £345.20, a very respectable amount and aContinue reading “Members show a lot of bottle at Games”
- Remembering Josef DettlaffIt is with great sadness that Members received the news of the passing of Josef Dettlaff at 93 years of age. An active member of the Association for many years, Joe’s infirmity in recent years curtailed his visits to the Odenwald but he had many friends in the Odenwald who will also mourn his passing.Continue reading “Remembering Josef Dettlaff”
- Odenwald booklet onlineThe Odenwald Akademie has produced a 100 page booklet on the Odenwald. Whether you just admire the photos or want to practise your German, take a look inside. View the booklet here. “Our beautiful Odenwald has produced a page turner! You can take a look online. We would like to introduce you to yourContinue reading “Odenwald booklet online”
- Members visit KelpiesFifteen Odenwald Association members and friends enjoyed a guided tour of the Kelpies, recommended by our February speaker, Helix volunteer Keith Jones. Our guide, Ceira, spoke about the creation of the Helix park and how sculptor Andy Scott was inspired to design the Kelpies, before taking us inside one of the massive structures. Once weContinue reading “Members visit Kelpies”
- Association takes part in quizThe Odenwald Association involvement in Tryst Festival continued on Monday evening 15 May when a Team took part in the annual Top of the Town Quiz. The representatives, Jean, Terry, Donna and Andy did themselves proud finishing joint 5th out of over 20 teams. It was a fun evening. Thanks to Falkirk District Arts andContinue reading “Association takes part in quiz”
- Association on paradeTo mark the beginning of events for the Tryst Festival in Falkirk, community groups were invited to join in the Parade from the Town Hall, Falkirk to the High Street where groups of entertainers were performing to a cheery audience who turned out, despite the rain. Carrying the Odenwald Association banner and sporting Erbach umbrellas,Continue reading “Association on parade”
- Evening sail on canalOn Tuesday evening, Odenwald Association members had beautiful weather for their evening cruise along the Forth and Clyde Canal with the Seagull Trust, a charity which provides canal trips and holidays for the disabled and their families. In calm waters with beautiful reflections, Charlie, Walter, Greg and Andy entertained the group with songs as theyContinue reading “Evening sail on canal”
- Barge trip on May 9, 2017Tomorrow night, Tuesday 9 May, is a social evening in the form of a Canal trip along the Union Canal on a barge operated by The Seagull Trust. Directions are as folows: It is off Gartcows Road, FK1 5PT, where the road widens, and there is a small sign for the Seagull Trust. You goContinue reading “Barge trip on May 9, 2017”
- Election of office bearers and committeeThe following office bearers and committee members have been elected to serve the Odenwald Association. Office Bearers Chair – Walter SimmsVice-Chair – Gray AllanSecretary – Anne SimmsTreasurer – Charlie Tibbles Executive Committee Walter Simms and Gray Allan are automatically on the Executive Committee – everyone else was elected: Andy Christie, Joe Detlaff, Lynda Kenna, EmmaContinue reading “Election of office bearers and committee”
- Andy Christie steps downAt last night’s AGM, Andy Christie stood down as Chair of the Odenwald Association. Presenting Andy with a gift from the Association members, Gray Allan commented on how he’s known Andy for several years, and has always been impressed by his energy and commitment, especially since he took over as Chair from the late PeterContinue reading “Andy Christie steps down”
- Kayleigh gives talk on MalawiKayleigh Boardman, who is well known to many of our members as a dancer with the Jenkins School of Highland Dancing, came along to give a talk on her month-long volunteer placement with the Lilongwe Wildlife Trust in Malawi. The talk took place at the Odenwald Association’s meeting on March 14, 2017. Malawi is aContinue reading “Kayleigh gives talk on Malawi”
- Odenwald in the snowThese pictures taken in 2017 show a snowy Odenwald.
- Volunteer Keith talks about HelixThe Odenwald Association was delighted to welcome Keith Jones, a presentation volunteer with the Helix park, who gave an interesting and informative illustrated talk about the regeneration of this area of Falkirk. The talk took place on February 14, 2017. Keith gave some history of the area in recent decades which led to the planningContinue reading “Volunteer Keith talks about Helix”
- Helix love on February 14Just a quick reminder about this Tuesday’s meeting of The Odenwald Association (14 February 2017). The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in Room A, the Committee Suite, Municipal Buildings, Falkirk, and the speaker will be Keith Jones, a volunteer at the Helix, who will bring us up to date with the latest developments there. YouContinue reading “Helix love on February 14”
- Festive visit to OdenwaldMartina and her partner, Thomas, invited Walter and me to stay with them in Gross-Zimmern for the last weekend in November 2016, when the Christmas markets spring up in every town in Germany (writes Anne Simms). Unfortunately, the Lufthansa pilots chose that week to go on strike so we had to fly out with BritishContinue reading “Festive visit to Odenwald”
- Notice of meetings 2016-17Please note the dates of Odenwald Association meetings and activities planned for the coming months. Association meetings are held in The Municipal Buildings, West Bridge Street, Falkirk FK1 5RS 2016 November 8 Talk – Kayleigh Boardman, A Veterinary Nurse in Africa. 7.00 pm Municipal Buildings, Falkirk December No meeting 2017 January 10 Annual Dinner, CladhanContinue reading “Notice of meetings 2016-17”
- First meeting on 2016-17 sessionWalter Simms (vice-Chair) welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the 2016-17 session of the Odenwald Association. He extended a special welcome to Sylvia, who had heard about the Association at Hanne Stuckert’s Limes talk at Falkirk Library during Big Roman Week. Anne Simms (Secretary) then reported on all the happenings over the summer, includingContinue reading “First meeting on 2016-17 session”
- Hanne goes Roman!As part of Big Roman Week in Falkirk, a festival co-ordinated by The Friends of Kinneil charity, Hanne Stuckert, M.A., Provincial Roman Archeologist and Education officer in Museum Schloss Fechenbach in Germany, was invited by Falkirk Council, to give a series of talks about the Romans in mainland Europe. Hanne, who was raised in theContinue reading “Hanne goes Roman!”
- Big Roman Week 2016The Executive Committee of the Odenwald Association is finalising the programme for the next session which starts on Tuesday, 11th October with our Open Evening. One or two things are happening before that. Martina Emmerich is coming over for the Bloody Scotland crime-writing festival the weekend of 9th September. She will be busy attending eventsContinue reading “Big Roman Week 2016”
- Games stall raises more than £400Saturday 23 July 2016: Odenwald Association members turned out to man the fund raising Bottle Stall at the 145th Airth Highland Games. Alongside the local pipe band, Highland Dancing competitions, children’s entertainment, craft stalls, foods, refreshment tents, and the sights and sounds of the fair, the park was transformed in the magnificent setting between theContinue reading “Games stall raises more than £400”
- Support us at Airth GamesFollowing on previous years, The Odenwald Association will be holding a Bottle Stall at Airth Highland Games which will be held on Saturday, July 23, 2016, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.at North Green Park, The Wilderness, Airth. Members will be manning the stall stocked with bottle prizes, from Shampoo to Champagne, soft drinks toContinue reading “Support us at Airth Games”
- Student work placementsTwo students Denise and Saskia, from Beruflicheschule in the Odenwald were collected from the airport by members of the Odenwald Association and settled into their accommodation ready for their 3 weeks’ work experience placements at Municipal Buildings, the Kelpies and Falkirk Library. Before starting work they were taken on a tour of the TrossachsContinue reading “Student work placements”
- Meeting on May 10, 2016Tuesday 10 May will be our last meeting of this Session and we will be planning for Summer events and the programme for 2016-2017 session. Upcoming events include: the Falkirk Tryst Festival in May; supporting the Airth Highland Games in July; a visit from members of Schottland Vereinigung; and (hopefully) a visit by theContinue reading “Meeting on May 10, 2016”
- AGM – Election of Office Bearers and Executive CommitteeAt the AGM of the Odenwald Association on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 the undernoted were elected as office bearers: Chair – Andy ChristieVice Chair – Walter SimmsTreasurer – Charlie TibblesSecretary – Anne Simms Executive Committee – Office Bearers and Joe Dettlaff, Gray Allan, Linda Kenna, Mark Allison, Emma Gillanders, and Kathryn Grainger.
- Evening at WEST BreweryAs part of the programme for the year, the Meeting of 8 March was a social evening with a group of 9 members from the Odenwald Association visiting The WEST Brewery in Glasgow to experience a German evening in Scotland! The Brewery is housed in the iconic Templeton Building which was previously a world famousContinue reading “Evening at WEST Brewery”
- No Municipal Buildings meeting on March 8Please remember that there will be no meeting of the Odenwald Association in Municipal Buildings on Friday, March 8, 2016 – as a social evening at the West Brewery in Glasgow has been arranged as part of the social programme. Next meeting is the AGM 12 April, 2016 at 7.00 pm. Municipal Buildings, Falkirk.
- Odenwald children learn about Scottish cultureWhile in the Odenwald as entertainers for the Burns Supper, Falkirk music teachers Susanne Bell and Gareth Lloyd were invited to two schools as part of a music project to teach children through music and song a little about Scottish culture. With Susanne playing accordion and tin whistle and Gareth on guitar, almost 60 childrenContinue reading “Odenwald children learn about Scottish culture”
- Bad König – then and nowBad König is an attractive Spa town in the Odenwald, Falkirk’s twinning partner area in Hessen, Germany. Bad König has an active camera club and members have compiled a photographic record of the town, “Then and Now”. A selection of photos is presently being exhibited at Bo’ness Library, together with a display about The OdenwaldContinue reading “Bad König – then and now”
- Scottish Railway Preservation SocietyTalk by Carl John, Scottish Railway Preservation Society and Management Development Board. Association meeting – Tuesday 9 February 2016 Carl John, a working Councillor with West Lothian Council by day, revealed another side of his life which, from 1961 as a young ‘trainspotter taking numbers in a book”, he has matured into a fully-fledged geekContinue reading “Scottish Railway Preservation Society”
- Celebrating Burns in GermanyMembers of the Odenwald Association regularly visit Germany in the winter months to join in Burns’ Supper celebrations. Here are some pictures from the 2016 trip. Please note this archived gallery contains collage pictures and is best viewed on a desktop computer.
- February meeting of AssociationCome and Get Your Very Own T-shirt – while they are available! At the meeting of the Odenwald Association on Tuesday 9th February, there will be the option to buy Odenwald Association T-shirts, created especially for the Association, these unique, ultra-stylish, must have buys, only cost £10 each. Only sizes Large or Extra LargeContinue reading “February meeting of Association”
- Happy New Year!Season’s Greetings to our sister organisation, the Schottland Vereinigung and to all our friends in the Odenwald. Members of the Odenwald Association wish you all a happy, healthy 2016. We look forward to renewing old friendships, strengthening existing bonds and developing new links in our twinning partnership. “Lang may yer lum reek”. Continue reading “Happy New Year!”
- Tribute to Sheila SimpsonIt was with great sadness that the Odenwald Association members heard of the sudden death of Sheila Simpson who was Secretary to the Association for many years and without doubt, the mainstay of the Association with the development of relationships, the maintenance of links with our sister organisation The Schottland Vereinigung and the many personalContinue reading “Tribute to Sheila Simpson”
- Great Tapestry of ScotlandAt the Odenwald Association meeting on Tuesday, November 10, 2015, Christine Simm, a “stitcher” involved in the making of The Great Tapestry of Scotland, gave an informative and amusing talk. She showed slides of her participation in the embroidery of one of the panels which make up the 160 panels of the Great Tapestry ofContinue reading “Great Tapestry of Scotland”
- Celebration eveningThe final event to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Odenwald Association was an evening of music, song and dance held in St. Francis Xavier Hall, Falkirk on Saturday 24 October 2015. Over 90 friends attended including guests from our partner area, the Odenwaldkreis and representatives of Falkirk Council. The excellent entertainment was provided byContinue reading “Celebration evening”
- Display marks 40th anniversaryFalkirk district celebrated its 40th anniversary of its twinning links with Odenwald with an exhibition in the Howgate Centre, Falkirk. As well as displays, there was also live music and activities for children. The event was held on October 24, 2015 – before an evening reception in St. Francis Xavier’s Church Hall in Falkirk. PicturesContinue reading “Display marks 40th anniversary”
- Falkirk Branch of Parkinson’s UK: links with the OdenwaldBecause our friend Elfi in the Odenwald reads “The Falkirk Herald” she found out that Falkirk had a Parkinson’s Branch. When a group from the Odenwald Association visited in September, Elfi contacted Andy, the Chairman of the Association to ask him to bring back to Falkirk a gift from Parkinson’s in the Odenwald. The OdenwaldContinue reading “Falkirk Branch of Parkinson’s UK: links with the Odenwald”
- Planning a Dram good visitTo help celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Odenwald Association, a group of 13 members from our sister group in the Odenwald, the Schottland Vereinigung will be visiting Falkirk between Friday 23 – Tuesday 27 October. The group will visit the Association’s exhibition in the Community Hub, Howgate, enjoy an evening of Scottish music andContinue reading “Planning a Dram good visit”
- Photographic exhibition from OdenwaldPhotographs created by the Bad König Photographic club were exhibited in La Porte Precinct, Grangemouth. A group of members from the Odenwald Association and Falkirk Camera Club attended the opening which was officiated by Grangemouth Councillor Robert Spears and Mary Jane Armstrong from Falkirk Delivers, who gave support for obtaining access to the vacant shop.Continue reading “Photographic exhibition from Odenwald”
- Anniversary plansOn Tuesday 13 October, the Odenwald Association had its first meeting of the season when plans for the coming year were finalised including the programme for the Association’s 40th Anniversary celebrations. The format of the meetings is a business meeting followed by a social part, with German style nibbles and drinks on offer. If youContinue reading “Anniversary plans”
- Dates for your diaryHere are some diary dates for the Odenwald Association for the 2015-16 season. October 13 – Open Evening Ocober 16-22 – Photographic Display in Grangemouth Shop, La Porte Precinct October 24 – 40 Anniversary CelebrationsDisplay of Promotion material, Community Hub, Howgate Falkirk 10 a.m.-4.00 p.m.Celebration Evening of Music, Song and Dance at St. Francis Xavier’sContinue reading “Dates for your diary”
- Visit to OdenwaldA group of 11 members of the Odenwald Association travelled to Germany in September 2016, some staying in the Michelstädterhof and others being hosted in homes of friends. Two new members were experiencing their first visit; all returned having had different experiences but unanimous that it was a fabulous and fun visit. An invitation toContinue reading “Visit to Odenwald”
- Schottische Nacht in ErbachOdenwald’s “Schottische Nacht” was held in Schloss Castle or Palace in Erbach in June 2015. The Jenkins Dancers and the Tonkerers band from Falkirk district entertained the crowds. The event was organised by Schottland Vereinigung – the Scottish association for the Odenwald area and our twinning partners in Germany. Pictures from the event are postedContinue reading “Schottische Nacht in Erbach”
- New season for AssociationAfter a busy Summer, the Odenwald Association will hold its first meeting of the new season on its regular second Tuesday of the month, on October 14, 2014, at 7.00 p.m. in Municipal Buildings, Falkirk. If you, your group, or oganisation is interested in Twinning or finding out more about the Odenwald region of Germany youContinue reading “New season for Association”
- Schottland Vereinigung visitA group of nine representatives of the Odenwald Association’s sister twinning organisation in Germany, the Schottland Vereinigung arrived on Friday, July 25, 2014. They were met at Edinburgh airport by Association members who undertook the transfer to Powfoulis Hotel, where they were welcomed by members and the programme for the visit discussed. On the followingContinue reading “Schottland Vereinigung visit”
- Association at Airth GamesThe Odenwald Association had a stall at the 2014 Airth Highland Games. Pictures from the event are shown below. If you’d like to help the Association with future fundraising or promotional activities, please get in touch.
- Victorian Street Fair funAlthough it was a grey, cloudy day, a group of members set up and manned a bottle stall at the 2014 Bo’ness Victorian Fair, as a fundraising venture. It was hard work trying to persuade the public to participate as heavy showers of rain had everyone running for shelter over the course of the day. Continue reading “Victorian Street Fair fun”
- Odenwald scenesThe beauty of the Odenwald. The historic old town of Michelstadt with its Rathaus of 1484, the Church, the Thief’s Tower and its beautiful Fachwerk (timber frame) buildings. Colourful timber framed buildings in various patterns are a feature of Michelstadt and throughout the Odenwald area.
- Dancers delight in BeerfeldenThe Jenkins Dancers from Falkirk district delighted attendees at a Burns Night in Beerfelden in Odenwald. The celebration of Scotland’s national bard usually takes place every two years and is organised by our sister organisation Schottland Vereinigung. If you’d like to get involved in twinning, please contact us.