Our French partners on the outskirts of Paris
Créteil is a large cosmopolitan town lying to the south of Paris, France. It is composed of the old part, known as Créteil Village with its traditional streets, shops and restaurants and the contrasting development of the ‘new town’ with its innovative architecture, variety of residential accommodation and interesting water features throughout.
Créteil boasts some wonderful green spaces, particularly Parc Dupeyroux which has been reclaimed and is the location for the annual Parc du Jardin weekend of competition and events.
An outstanding feature is the beautiful lake where many water sports and activities take place. It is hard to believe that this tranquil area, now home to a variety of wildlife, was once an old quarry. The area is used by all sections of the community from schoolchildren having lessons outdoors, to daily joggers, Mums with children and people just enjoying the environment.
The Twinning Committee in Créteil was established in 1978 as the Comite Jumelages and is run by a Board of Directors who are elected volunteers and permanent employees. This is Falkirk’s direct link in twinning projects. See more at Créteil Jumelages
News from the Falkirk District Twinning Association
(promoting links with Créteil in France)
- Twinning partners meet in CréteilA Seminar for librarians from several of Créteil’s Twinning partners was held in the Médiathèque in Créteil from 21-24 November 2018. Library Services was represented by veteran librarian Gray Allan. Gray wrote the following short report on the event and his experiences during the visit. I was delighted to have the opportunity to visit FranceContinue reading “Twinning partners meet in Créteil”
- Gallery: A class evening in CréteilMembers of the English class in Créteil enjoyed food and fun on the last meeting before their Summer break. The evening was organised by their Teacher Catherine. Here are some pictures. Click on any image to see a larger version. From the happy smiling faces, it looked like it was an evening enjoyed by all. Continue reading “Gallery: A class evening in Créteil”
- Gallery: Warm welcome in FalkirkMembers of Falkirk District Twinning Association (FDTA) were delighted to welcome six students and their Teacher from The English Class from our twin town of Créteil, near Paris. They were given a warm welcome to Falkirk by Cllr Laura Murtagh at Municipal Buildings, Falkirk. In Falkirk to meet twinning members, improve their language skills andContinue reading “Gallery: Warm welcome in Falkirk”
- Les Étudiants d’Anglais to visit FalkirkA group of adult students who are learning English at the Bureau de Jumelages in Créteil will visit Falkirk District in April 2018. Accompanied by their English teacher Catherine Bettoni, they will arrive in Falkirk on Friday 20th April for their 3 day visit and will take part in a programme of visits and activities organisedContinue reading “Les Étudiants d’Anglais to visit Falkirk”
- Honour for Magda VorchinOur friend and twinning colleague Magda Vorchin was awarded the ‘Médaille de la Ville’ by Le Maire de Créteil, Laurent Cathala, at a ceremony two weeks ago in Créteil. The prestigious award was given in recognition of her work in the community of Mont-Mesly, a district in Créteil, and also in her role over theContinue reading “Honour for Magda Vorchin”